8.01.2003

Home Sweet Home

I just arrived at my new apartment last night.. and woah mama is it perfect. I feel like Goldilocks. Not too big. Not too small. Just right.

Here in Japan they measure rooms in Tatami mats which are the square, tan, bamboo straw mats that you would associate with a traditional Japanese room. My bedroom is 6 tatami mats, which measures about 8 feet by 10 feet. My bedroom doubles as a family room, so I have a couch and television and table in my bedroom/family room. The kitchen is about the same size as my bedroom/kitchen.

Now on to the fun stuff. My shower and washing machine.

The shower is in a small bathroom that has a sliding door like that of an airplane bathroom door. In fact it has the same sound when you shut it. The only difference is that it doesn't have the "occupied/vacant" sign on it.

And now the washing machine...

My washer looks like it was manufactured by Hello Kitty (Kitty-Chan as they call her in Japan). It's bubblegum pink and plastic. The best part about it is that when its ending the spin cycle, it sounds like an space ship decending, and shakes like an old hooptie car. Oh yeah, and no dryer. I get to line dry my clothes on a line off the balcony. That way, they get that nice crunchy feel to them. Hey, i wonder if Hello Kitty offers fabric softner?...

My actual apartment building is part of Rainbow Town. Gay pride parades coming up anytime soon? No, its actually called Rainbow Town because each building is a different pastel color. Mine is pink and I live on the 8th floor. My apartment building is located in a funky little town called Nishinomiya. Nishinomiya is directly in between Osaka and Kobe. About 15 minutes by train from each one. I am also about 45 minutes away from Kyoto. Lots of traveling is on the horizon, but as for now I've been busy getting situated...

These past few days have been a whirlwind. Between applying for my alien registration card, meeting new people at work, getting a Japanese bank account, and buying stuff to make my little apartment a home... there hasn`t been much time for venturing out in the city. But from what i've seen, I ABSOLUTELY love this place.

Oh, and by the way, Japanese kids are soooooo cute. Oh my gosh, i want to eat their little cheeks... with chopsticks. : )

And thats the truth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home