8.20.2003

Twilight Zone

Yesterday at my flower arranging class, there were 4 high school students, 2 English senseis, my coworker (Stuart) and myself. We enjoyed our class and all came back to the staff room afterwards to display our flowers. The 4 students came into the staffroom as well and after I sat down at my desk, all 4 girls circled around my desk. i began to ask them some basic questions...

Q: So, girls, what are you going to do today?
A: We are going shopping
Q: Oh, that's sounds fun. I love shopping! Where is your favorite shopping area?
A: Sannomiya Center Street (its a huge shopping strip in Kobe)
Q: Oh, that sounds great! What are you going to buy?
A: Ummm, maybe some new legwarmers (no, that's not true. I just forgot what they said)
Q: Well, have fun
A: Ok

Then there was silence. I was finished asking questions. They were finished answering. But... they just stood there and...

STARED AT ME!!!!!!!

I didn't want to say, "bye". I didn`t want to be rude, but they all stood around my chair as I sat there. Nobody said anything. THEY JUST CONTINUED TO STARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I said, "well, have a good time, girls". And they just smiled and stared. I felt like I was in the twilight zone. It was the strangest phenomenon. It's as if they were waiting for me to release them, but I didn't know the magic word.

Next, I stood up from my chair, but they still didn't move. So, there were 5 of us just standing in a little cluster and I soon realized that I was stuck. I couldn't move.

I decided on an escape plan. I took the rubberband off of my wrist and shot it in the air. Luckily it fell outside of our little 5-man cluster, and so I said, "oh, excuse me, I'm just gonna grab that really quick." And I was free. Free at last.

I successfully escaped the cluster and the twilight zone moment.

Then, one of them proceeded to ask me if i would like to go with them to kyoto this Saturday. I was so excited. I felt like the new dork on campus... so thrilled that the cool girls had invited me somewhere. It should be fun to have little tour guides that are fluent in Japanese. I think that I will bring pictures of my family and friends for the 45 minute train ride over to Kyoto since I am anticipating that the conversation may run a little dry after about... 5 minutes.

I just had another idea... maybe, I can buy some new legwarmers for my visit to kyoto with the girls. Just for kicks. If i do, i will surely take pictures. Have no fear.

But what if they don't wear their legwarmers on Saturday and I do? Then, I'll really be the new dork on campus!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home