9.17.2003

Japanese Elvis (Japelvis)

I survived the typhoon! Yes, it was quite windy and raining buckets, but I survived. It wasn`t anything too dramatic in my neck of the woods. Although there was one death and a few broken limbs.

In more dramatic news, I just survived an orientation seminar that lasted 4 days and 3 nights.

I would like to summarize the seminar situation as being close to jail. We had regular meetings, dorm rooms that were shared by 4 people, communal showers, b.y.o.s. (bring your own soap), ping pong tournaments (not in the showers), and a "lights out" policy at 10:00pm. We had to tiptoe around after 10:00 so that we weren't too loud (we didn't want to wake the "prison" guards).

The good news is that we had 3 square meals a day (like jail), and they gave us a welcome party on the second night where a japanese elvis (Japelvis) performed classic elvis tunes, and good old rock and roll (including Def Leppard). He had a bouffant with a hot pink shirt on. Yeehaw! He was singing about wise men saying that fools rush in... and that he can't help falling in love with me.

The kitchen crew that has been cooking and cleaning the cafeteria turned into the nighttime band too. I heard some people in the kitchen at about 10pm last night strumming on an electric guitar. I guess that must have been the chef getting ready for the big show tonight. Good times!

Also, the Head of the Board of Education (Hasegawa Sensei) also got quite tipsy and began dancing. Much like the chicken dance, the Japanese have a slightly different species they call the "frog dance". The frog dance has a series of moves which ends in the dancer descending down while holding his hands over his head and opening and closing his mouth like a fish. I had the honor and rare opportunity of doing the frog dance with Hasegawa. Luckily, my friend Jessica documented everything on her camera.

All in all, I had a great time these past 4 days. Jessica and I refined our ping pong technique. We were the ones who fully took advantage of the ONLY source of entertainment on the premises. Many of the others used the beer vending machine that dispenses 40 ounce "tall ones" 24 hours a day as their source of entertainment.

Hey, to each his own... I prefer to improve my ping pong skills. No hangover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home