8.28.2004

Hai Hai Tennis Club

In my neighborhood, there are a whole slew of schools in all directions. Right in front of my lovely apartment complex (the pretty projects) are the tennis courts for the Girl's Tennis Club at Takasu Jr. High School. All schools have a tennis club, but none like the Takasu Jr. High School Tennis Club...

So, why is this tennis club unique, you ask? Well, they have a little something special that they love to do as they play... they scream. They scream, "hai hai", which can be translated as "yes yes". But, this isn't just any scream. This scream is similar to that of a 2 year old child crying bloody murder if his older brother or sister had just ripped his favorite toy from his grip. So, this "hai hai" actually sounds more like "hai haaaaaaaaiiiiiiii". And they scream it everytime they serve, hit, receive, get a ball out of bounds, score a point, or decide to take a water break. So, at any time, you can have about 8 "hai hai"s going off at the same time, since they all play doubles and there are 3 tennis courts. Super!

You might wonder why I know so much about when, how and why they yell "hai hai". Well, my friends, the reason is because its every morning and afternoon. 7 days a week. Right outside my door. And loud enough that I can hear it with all the doors shut and a little music to muffle the sound. I've also watched them from my balcony and wondered if they would mind water balloons being tossed their way. So, after a year's worth of "hai hai"s, I decided to hai hai my way on over to the tennis courts and ask them if they might have a volume button. Possibly.

As I entered the gates of the school, I walked confidently toward the tennis courts. I mean, I deserve to have some peace and quiet every once in a while, right? After all, its Sunday. Have a rest ladies. Its the summer time.

I proceed towards the courts and my confidence was interupted by sweet voices yelling "konnichiwa". I thought, "Don't try and butter me up. The damage is already done." My confidence wanes. I see the tennis coach and he stands up and bows when he sees me. Are you joking me? Do you people know that I have a few words for you? Stop this already. My confidence is quickly shriveling like a prune as I continue to walk to the courts. I finally make my way to the coach and he bows again and says "konnichiwa". Then all 30 of the girls chorus after him, "konnichiwa". Then, they all smile and wait for me to say something. Ummmm....

I then forget why I am even there as I said, "konnichiwa" with a nice little bow. Then, the girls are told to continue practicing. I begin small talk with the coach, and tell him that I live in that pretty pink building next to the school. He asked all about my life in Japan. He was the nicest man ever. He then invited me to play tennis with the girls anytime. At that point the girls all rushed over and surrounded me. Game over!

We talked and giggled for about 30 minutes. They are really the sweetest, funniest, and hardest working girls around. I told them that I wanted to learn each and every one of their names so that I can yell their names from the balcony... "go yuko!" "great job natsumi!" "hai hai hiromi!". I'm assuming the neighborhood doesn't mind me screaming from the balcony.

Today, I had the pleasure of watching one of their matches and it was so fun to clap and cheer for them. I didn't hold back.

I'm also planning on showing them some of my skills next Monday. Their sweet coach said they have a racket waiting for me. Hai Hai!

Watch out ladies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home