8.16.2004

Michael Jackson

It was a mellow Saturday night. Kiyoka and I were discussing good music over a glass of red wine. I mentioned Mos Def, who she had never heard of before. She wanted to see a picture of him, so, I decided to check the internet. Up came a website filled with pictures of a bunch of African American music artists and actors, past and present...

We saw Bill Cosby, Diana Ross, Usher, Jay-Z, Outkast, Queen Latifah, Mos Def, and Michael Jackson. Just then, Kiyoka pointed to Michael Jackson and said in the most serious and somber way, "why is HE on this page?" There was a moment of silence. And then I realized she was serious. I knew she had eventually figured it out when she said, "oh yeah, he used to be black... right?"

As I was laughing hysterically she waited patiently, in all seriousness, for the answer. I then reassured her, "yeah, Kiyoka, he used to be black a long long time ago."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home