9.05.2004

the R and L phenomenon - part 2

Another student of mine is Akihiko. He is a funny funny guy. We have so much fun together because he loves to be silly. He loves to learn slang and fun English.

One day I was explaining something to him, and he didn't quite understand. It took about 5 minutes of explaining before I finally gave up. Instead of saying, "never mind", I said, "chole meno", which is a made up word that I love to use. (chole meno is pronounced cho-lay men-no)

As Akihiko reached for his dictionary, he said, "cho..... cho..... huh?" I assured him that "chole meno" wouldn't be in there. So, he asked if "chole meno" had any meaning and I told him that it did. It has many meanings...

I explained, "'chole meno' can mean whatever you want it to. It can mean, 'never mind' in situations like the one before. Or, if somebody asks an incriminating or difficult question, and you want to change the subject, simply say, "chole meno" and start talking about the topic of your choice. Or, if you get a flat tire, you can get out of your car, kick the tire, and simply groan, "choooole!"

He liked the idea of "chole meno"

So, one day Akihiko needed to change his lesson from Wednesday to Thursday. He sent me an email that looked like this:

Dear Niki,

I'm sorry. I cannot have a lesson on Wednesday.
I have to meet a customer.
I'd like to have a lesson on Thursday.
Anytime is Ok.
I'm sorry to trouble you.
Chore meno!!!

Sincerely yours,
Akihiko

awww. Chore meno to you too, Akihiko.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home