12.02.2004

Movies in Japan

I hear that one of the best ways to learn a foreign language is to watch movies in that language. It helps to give natural spoken examples of the language instead of robotic mechanical grammar that you learn from a book. Its a great way to learn slang and phrases too.

So, one night as I was flipping through the channels on TV, I saw that the movie "The Sixth Sense" was playing. The characters were speaking Japanese, and there were no English subtitles. I felt jipped. But, I guess I am in Japan, right?

Well, I had never seen this movie before so trying to decode what they were saying was difficult. Very difficult. They were talking so fast. So I tried to read their lips in English, but still... nothing.

The only part that I knew for sure was "I see dead people". I saw his lips move as clear as day. I started dancing around, I was so happy.

I figured out a line in a Japanese speaking movie!

I then realized that that doesn't take any Japanese skills to read lips in English. And, I didn't even hear the Japanese translation of it.

What a waste!

But, then it occurred to me... when am I ever going to need to say, "I see dead people" in Japanese anyways?

Well, I think its safe to say that I should stick to learning Japanese from a book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home