3.01.2005

Bicycle Adventures

So, a few weeks ago I was riding my bicycle home from school in the rain. For all of you who have tried to ride your bicycle in the rain, you realize that you have to use one hand to hold an umbrella and the other to steer (and use the breaks if need be). And if any of you have ever seen me drive, you realize that this can be a dangerous situation.

Also, going up hills is a little difficult because you have to stay seated while steering and holding the umbrella. But, as you're riding up the hill you just think of the easy, fun and fast ride down. So, I'm sweatin', huffin', and puffin' up the hill and finally make it to the top. Which brings me to the fun part... I sail down the hill with the wind and rain brushing my face...

Until I see this little old man starting to cross the sidewalk a few feet in front of me at the bottom of the hill (just when the ride starts to get good). The sidewalk is tiny and he's walking very s-l-o-w-l-y. He's walking from the cigarette machine back to his scooter parked on the street... with his helmet still on. So I ring my bell well in advanced for him to stop in his tracks or pick up the pace. But, the helmet, or possibly poor hearing has blocked out my "ring ring... ring ring... RING RING" ringing. I realize that this guy has no idea that I'm coming, so I pulled on my brakes as fast and as hard as I possibly could. Now let me remind you that these are my front brakes, which means that I almost flipped over my bike as I was screaming down the hill.

Eventually having to use my feet (Fred Flinstone style), I finally stopped my bike, about 1 inch from this guys right leg. He barely realizes I am there. I then gently screamed, "helllloooo!!?!". Just then, the little old man looked at me, with a huge grin on his face. He looked suprised and soooooo happy as he was waving his hand. Its as if he knew me when he said a sweet, "hello".

I had to laugh and ended up smiling back at him. I gave him my best "Konnichiwa" and he bowed and gave me a sweet "konnichiwa" back.

As I started up on my bike again, I looked back and said "kiyo tsukette" which means "be careful out there".

Just when life seems to get crazy, its that warm, sweet smile that saves the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home